Sunday, October 21, 2012

Interview with a Malaysian

Interviewer: Thanh Dao
Interviewee: Eu Sheng Chung.

The Interview:


Me: Hello, how are you today?
Eu: Good, how are you today?
Me: I'm good. Thanks. How's your work?
Eu: How's my work?
Me: Yup
Eu: My work has been doing great.
Me: So, today I'm gonna interview you about your country and I hope can help me answer a few questions... The first one is about your family.. What's the value of a family in your country?
Eu: Umm, I think the value of my family in my country is: you want to take care of your family. So, let's say if you are still young, in high school, in college, your parents will take care of you. When you're done with college and find a job, it's your turn to take care of your parents. Unlike the US culture where you leave your family, doing your college time, your parents live by themselves or be taken care by the government. So the value of family in my country. Malaysia, is to be together, I think so.
Me: Yes.. It's similar to my country, too. And... What's your family structure like? Like the head of house, the values...
Eu: I think my family structure is strong and good. We spend a lot of time in the living room when we all have time.. Most of the time is like in evening, my parents came back from work, my brothers and I came back from school, we ate dinner together and watch TV in the living room. And currently now I only have one grandmother. She's in my mother's side and she's living with my only uncle. I have nine aunts and one uncle.
Me: wow..that's a lot. Big family.
Eu: Yeah... And for sure my grandmother has to live with the boy.
Me: So your grandmother has to live with your uncle.. The man in the house right?
Eu: Yeah...Usually the man...
Me: So is gender matter...
Eu: Yeah gender matters. Most of Malaysian family, I think they hope they give birth to a son so the son spread the surname for the family.
Me: Yeah.. So it's about the family... Tell me a little bit about your culture, how is your home country culture differ from the U.S culture? I know Asian and America have a lot of differences but like the thing you can think about when talk about the difference, the one from the top of your mind?
Eu: The most obvious one will be in term of social, let's say: If I'm in the US, people are greet to each other, no matter whate. But in my country, it doesn't happen frequently. and it's kind of awkward when you talk to strangers. And in term of food. I think the U.S they eat a lot of fried foods, oily stuff, sweet. It's good but...
Me: Don't you like it?
Eu: I like it. But I think it's bad for my health.
Me: Yeah... How about your country? Do they eat a lot of fried food or...?
Eu: Um yeah. We have many ways to cook, like steam, boil, fry... Every day you have different choices for your meal
Me: Did you gain a lot of weight when you came to the U.S?
Eu: Yeah. I still have diet meals now, eat more vegetables and do work out...
Me: Do you usually work out at school?
Eu: Yeah, not at school but at home. When I get done with school. I go home, in my apt, I do work out.
Me: Oh okay... So could you tell me something highlight in your culture? Something that can make me think about your country right away?
Eu: Oh, my country has 3 races Chinese, Indian, and Malay...
Me: Oh, I mean something symbolist. When I think about Malaysia, the first thing I can think about is the twin towers...But something more like...culture, do you know?
Eu: Can I say about festival and stuff?
Me: Festival?
Eu: Yeah, lt's say Malay-Chinses, we celebrate Chinese New Year.
Me: In Malaysia, they celebrate Chinese New Year, too?
Eu: Yeah yeah, as I say we have 3 races. We celebrate each other festivals. No matter you're in what race. We have a lot of holidays.
Me: That's good! Can you tell me more about like clothing...
Eu: Oh Okay, in Malaysia, we're very famous in Batik.
Me: batik? How do you spell it?
Eu: B-A-T-I-K. Batik is a kind of art they apply on clothing, building...
Me: Is that the traditional clothing?
Eu: It's the traditional clothing from Malay. The art looks like...floral, a lot of curves, dot,...yeah something like that. And it's usually very colorful.
Me: Can you tell me a little bit about the history of it?
Eu: ........No, I'm not sure...
Me: That's okay. I don't know mine either. Hm, so where is your hometown?
Eu: My hometown is Klang, in Selangor.
Me: How do you spell it?
Eu: Klang, K-L-A-N-G, that's my city. And the state os S-E-L-A-N-G-O-R, Selangor.
Me: Oh okay. Is it far away from Kuala Lumpur?
Eu: No. It's one hour drive. Kuala Lumpur is located in Selangor.
Me: So could you tell me a little bit about your city?
Eu: Um... My city, I think it's a very beautiful place. It's considered as a sided city. We have tall buildings too. I think Klang is one of the most biggest cities in Malaysia, too.
Me: Is it just smaller than Kuala Lumpur? The second biggest?
Eu: I'm talking about the side of population. There're a lot of people living in Klang. We have a lot of good foods, good place, such as cafe. There are a lot of cafe shop around Klang, where you can go and chill out with friends.
Me: Okay.. So you just told me that in Malaysia you have 3 cultures, right?
Eu: Yeah: Malay, Chinese, and Indian.
Me: oh so are there any race or discrimination in your country? With like 3 cultures?
Eu: Well, I think it depends on people. We do have gender discrimination, racist..., and even appearant discrimination. Let' say if you wear really bad clothes, people will look down at you, they don't wanna hang out with you. I mean it depends...
Me: Wow...how about the majority?
Eu: I think I would say 50 50. Few people do this and few do that... For me, I don't care. I just hang out with any people I think is fine for me
Me: So, is that marriage important in your country?
Eu: Yeah. In my country, the children are always encouraged to marry the people who have good family backgrounds. For example: rich, good education,...
Me: So in your country, can a man have many wives?
Eu: It only applies to Malay. They can have up to 9 wives.
Me: Malay? Malaysian?
Eu: Not Malaysian. Just Malay people.
Me: So you can have 9 wives?
Eu: No. I'm a Chinese. Yeah, I think it's kinda weird when they can have 9 wives.
Me: Do you know anybody have 9 wives?
Eu: I know my friend's father. He has 3 wives.
Me: Wow...that's...good for him
Eu: Yeah. He can handle that.
Me: So could you tell me a little bit about your food in your country? What's the most famous food?
Eu: We have a lot a lot of famous food.
Me: From the top of my head, I think famous food in Malaysia is your dessert.
Eu: Oh dessert? Cendol. C-E-N-D-O-L. It's the ice dessert, like snow flakes, and then they put in cinnamon sugar, and then green color jelly.
Me: Oh yeah, I like the jelly.
Eu: And we have a lot of other kinds. We have 3 cultures so we have a lot of food. If you try 1 Malaysian food for each meal, you try 3 different food each meal, you will have to take a half of year to finish tasting all of them.
Me: Wow.. So what food you like the best?
Eu: Oh I like a lot....
Me: Can you write those down for me?
Eu: Oh sure. You can check them in google.
Me: So normally, do people like spicy food?
Eu: Yeah, people like spicy food in Malaysia.
Me: YEah I've been to Malaysia and I tried a lot of food but I don't know their names.
Eu: Yeah, I think they have weird names.
Me: So how long have you been to the U.S?
Eu: Me? 2 years. This will be my 3rd year.
Me: So you spent your high school time in Malaysia?
Eu: Yup.
Me: So do you know about the education system in your country?
Eu: Education system in my country... Most of the teachers in my high school are not well-trained. They are not profession. We have 3 cultures, we kind of mess up the languages. The teacher in my class they started talking in English, and then they talked in Chinese, and then Malay.
Me: So what language can you speak?
Eu: Chinese, Malay, British English,... In my country they teach British English. So in the U.S I have to change a little spelling. Like color-colour.
Me: So what's the most important subject in your country?
Eu: I don't they there's any specific subject in my country. But the government makes the education looks like Malays are very important. Malay language. If you want to apply in any school, they will look at your Malay language score. If it's bad, you won't be able to apply that school. This is unfair. They makes Malay language is much more important than anything.
Me: Are the governors Malay?
Eu: Yup, most of them. Chinese also tried to get involved, but it's really hard. I think it's like racist and discrimination already.
Me: Oh okay. So you have wear uniform when you go to school? Do you like it?
Eu: Yes. I think it looks neat.
Me: Which one do like better? No uniform or wear it?
Eu: I would say wear uniform because. Because you won't have to think about what to wear today.
Me: Yeah, that's what I think, too.
Eu: There's many rules come along. You have to have tie clothes, name tags. wear belt, the socks would be very long like football player.
Me: So, do a lot of people get a chance to attend college in your country? Like everybody?
Eu: Oh. Most of them are Malays. As I said
Me: Oh..that's...bad.
Eu: Let's say if this college is founded by Chinese, then for sure Chinese will have more chances to get in but if that's a Malay college then for sure, they will give more opportunities to Malays. So that's why I come to the U.S
Me: Oh. So is it because you can't apply to a Malay college?
Eu: Oh no no no.
Me: Oh you just want freedom?
Eu: Yeah, I don't want to get involved in so many stuff. I just want to get my degree done.
Me: Let's talk about the social. Like when you go to a restaurant. Will you pay separate or together? Like the guy pay for the girl? Who would be the person want to pay for the bill?
Eu: Usually we pay separately. But I usually treat my best friend. For the next time, we go to the same restaurant, my friend will treat me back. It's like take turns.
Me: It's not like serious take turn right?
Eu: It only applies to me I guess.
Me: So does your country people try to control give birth or you can have as many as you want?
Eu: No. As many as you want. Like the Malays they can have 9 wives. So if each wife has 2, they will have 18 children. I don't know how they're gonna earn so much money for children.
Me: Maybe he's rich. So if I go to Malaysia, again, where would you suggest me to go?
Eu: I think you should go to Penang. It's a small island. Do you know Malaysia used to have the longest bridge in South Asia?
Me: Oh really? I didn't know that.
Eu: That's the bridge connect Malaysia to Penang. So, why would I suggest you to go to Penang: we have many beautiful beaches. And it's a very nice place to tourism. We have a lot of five star hotels. We also have many famous foods in Penang. I usually spend my holidays there.
Me: So which age will be considered as adults in your country? 18 or 21?
Eu: 18 will be considered as adults.
Me: How would you be considered as adult? Like you go out home and earn money or you just 18 and will be considered as adult?
Eu: Ah...Yeah, you can apply that. When you earn money, you can be considered as adult. Another thing is when you're 18. Like when you apply to a bank account, they will say if you are under age, you need a guardian, then you know you're not an adult anymore.
Me: Uh hu. So do you think people in your country are hard worker?
Eu: Yup. Most of them are hard worker. The reason is because... Let's say I compare the living rate in the U.S  to my country. Malaysians are working 3 times harder to earn the same amount of money. If you eat a meal in the U.S costs $8, the same in Malaysia also $8. You have to work 3 hours to earn $8, but you can just work 1 hour in the U.S and can have the meal.
Me: Okay. Now let's talk about the religion. What's your religion?
Eu: My religion is Buddhism.
Me: So what's the main religion in your country?
Eu: Mostly are Muslim. For me I don't really think I trust any religion. I'm just an open-minded guy.
Me: Like a neutral?
Eu: Yeah. I used to go to church of Hindus, Islam...I'm not a part of it but I'm just curious about what they're doing. And by far they're pretty much the same.
Me: So what's the most famous holiday in your country?
Eu: Um... It would be teh New Year Day of Malay, Chinese New Year from Chinese, and Deepavali for Indian. It's like Christmas for America.
Me: Can you have a long break?
Eu: The break usually like 3-4 days. And people just spend their break with their families.
Me: Let's talk about what things make you proud of your country?
Eu: I don't know about that... There's a guy invented flash drive. I don't know his name. He tried to impress the government but it doesn't work. He tried to come to Taiwan to make some fund. And now flash drives are every where.  I think it's something I'm really proud about Malaysia.
Me: alright...
Eu: I'm not really close to Malaysia stuff. I don't know...
Me: I think there are many things you can be proud of but you just don't remember it.
Eu: Oh yeah, the twin towers, the Penang bridge used to be the longest bridge.
Me: So okay. It's nice to talk to you today.
Eu: Sure. Thank you for the interview.
Me: Thank you!

Preparation

I know this Malaysian guy since last year. He's a very friendly guy but also busy. Luckily, I only had to try to contact to him one time and he scheduled for me the next day. The day before the interview, I prepared some more questions. At first, I planned to see him at the library. But then, he decided to come to a restaurant. We came to the Perkins Restaurant, had some food and talked briefly about ourselves and the interview, and then we started the interview. He spoke English very well. I could understand him easily.

After the Interview

I think I have done well in this interview. Me and my interviewee really enjoyed the talk. Now I know a lot more about Malaysia. After I hear the record again, I figured out that I misunderstood him one time. He talked about the Malay (one of the biggest cultures in Malaysia), and I thought he was talking about all the Malaysians. He kept saying: not Malaysia, but the Malay. And I kept confirming: Okay, Malaysia. But now it's clear for me. I think he doesn't like the politics of Malaysia so I avoided to talk about it but I still understand the main points about the policy in Malaysia. Malaysia is a country with mixed cultures so it's really interesting but they have to face many problems too like discrimination, racism,etc... And I also don't like the fact that the Malays can have up to 9 wives. For me, it's backward. Anyway, Malaysia is a beautiful country and the capital of Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur is a heaven for the shoppaholics.

Country Report

Malaysia is a federal constitutional monarchy in Southeast Asia. It has 13 states and 3 federal territories.  It used to be colonized by British. Since independence, Malaysia has become one of the best economic records in Asia. They have 3 main races: Malay, Chinese, and India. The governors are mostly Malays. Because of the mixed cultures, they have a lot of traditional foods. Especially they're very famous with their desserts with many colorful jelly. Their main religion is Muslim. The traditional clothes of Malaysia is batik, a very colorful clothes with many flowers. They have many places for tourism also like the capital - Kuala Lumpur with the twin towers, Penang island - which was connected with Malaysia by the bridge used to be the longest bridge. If you come to Malaysia, you might face the discrimination quite often.

Work Cited:

"Malaysia." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 22 Oct. 2012. Web. 22 Oct. 2012. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia>.


http://soundcloud.com/thanh-dao-1/interview-a-malaysian











No comments:

Post a Comment